MINUTES 06.05.09

Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held at Filmer Hall on Wednesday 6th May at 8.00 p.m.
Present: Messrs Edmed, Ireland, Skinner, Turnill, Worsfold, MBC Cllr Gibson along with Clerk to the Council, Mrs Rimmer, and three residents.
  1. APOLOGIES – none
  1. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN
It was proposed by Mr Turnill, seconded by Mr Worsfold that Mr Edmed be elected as Chairman for a further year.
  1. ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN
It was proposed by Mr Ireland, seconded by Mr Worsfold that Mr Turnill be elected as Vice Chairman for a further year.
  1. DECLARATION OF INTEREST – none
  1. POLICE REPORT
No report had been received. The Clerk advised Councillors that PCSO Smith had now left and a new PCSO was undergoing her probation.
It was reported that there had been a number of incidents in the parish since the last meeting. No police presence has been seen. 
Action: Clerk to ascertain whether Police are aware of problems in the area.
  1. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING HELD 4TH MARCH 2009 were signed as a true
and accurate record of proceedings.
  1. MATTERS ARISING
No items other than those on the agenda.
  1. PLAY AREA  IMPROVEMENTS
The installation has now been completed and a copy of the recent play area inspection report sent to MBC. The inspection had highlighted a problem with the edging stone around the basketball hoop. This has been reported to Wicksteed who will look in to the matter. It is hoped that grant monies will be received once this problem has been dealt with.
Question was raised as to why the see-saw had been removed. The Clerk advised that this had been highlighted under Health and Safety and was removed in response.
The play area inspection highlighted a number of areas that needed attention – painting of swings and worn bushes.  
Action: Clerk to obtain quotation for this additional work
 
A new contractor has been found to cut the grass. It was suggested that a box is used so that the grass doesn’t go on to the safety surface.
  1. VILLAGE HALL
Comparison of floor quotations to be prepared for next meeting to allow for approving contract. 
At some stage the tiles on the roof will need inspection and attention. This will be the financial responsibility of the parish council who are responsible for the fabric of the building.
  1. HIGHWAYS
a)      Follow up on matters raised during meeting with KCC Highway
·        Pot holes in Friday Street have been repaired.
·        Ruts in East Sutton Road – the road will be closed for 3 days to allow for this work to be undertaken.
·        Roots growing in road at the Old Hollow – it was decided that no action be taken at present. 
b)      Letter from KHS regarding meeting to be held on 20th May to look at their Speed Limit Review. It was felt that this was not appropriate to the parish as only Chartway Street was classified as a B road.
  1. CORRESPONDENCE
a)       Councillors Information Day 20th June – details to be emailed to Councillors for consideration.
b)      Civic Parade – 24th May – no one attending.
  1. PLANNING
I.        Applications received
·        MA/09/0398 – 2 Moatenden Cottages – two storey side extension – approve
·        MA/09/0506 – Barn at Little Moatenden – LBC installation of conservation roof lights to south elevation – no objection
·        MA/09/0463 – Orchard Farm Nursery – erection of farm shop to serve plant nursery – no objection.
  1. FINANCE
a)    Items for payment
Current account £6931.49
Cheques for payment : 
Mrs H Rimmer – Salary and expenses £264.76
KALC – Annual Subscription    £134.72
Filmer Hall – Meeting charges    £120.00
Income received:
Precept                                                            £4000.00
Filmer Hall                                                £20.00
b)   Concurrent Function Return
Signed for return to Maidstone Borough Council. £1000 set aside for 2009-2010 to cover play area repairs.
c)    Annual Audit of Accounts
The accounts for 2008-2009 were presented to the Council. These were agreed and signed for submission to the Audit Commission.
Statement of Governance agreed.
  1. MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC – none
 
  1. ADDITIONAL MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT NEXT MEETING
·        Risk Assessments
  1. DATE OF NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING – 1ST JULY 2009. 
It was agreed that the November meeting would be held on 11th November due to other commitments the Clerk had on 4th November. 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.10 p.m.